What is a Homeland Security Specialist?
Would you enjoy protecting the American land, sea, and air? Would you enjoy protecting your fellow Americans from terror attacks?
If your answer is YES, then you should consider a career as a homeland security specialist.
homeland security specialist develops, monitors, and evaluates programs
and activities related to emergency preparedness to prevent and respond
to terror attacks. His or her responsibilities are as outlined below:
1. Develop Policies and Procedures to Help his or her Agency’s Capability to Prevent and Respond to Terrorism
2. Develops Effective Communication Strategies with Federal, State, and Local Agencies
3. Develops Logistic to be Used in Times of Terror Attacks
4. Helps in Development and Delivery of Terror Response Training
5. Assist in the Acquisition of Terror Response Supplies and Equipment
6. Provides Technical Assistance and Expertise to His or Her Employing Agency
7. Acts as Liaison Between Federal, State, and Local Agencies or Authorities
work of the security specialists is done under the guidelines
of the Department of Homeland Security. They must understand the laws,
rules, regulations, and policies of the US government. The Department of
Homeland Security administers these laws, rules, regulations, and
How to Become a Homeland Security Specialist:
To get this job, you will need homeland security training or education. An associate degree in homeland security will get you an entry level position. It is advised you go for a bachelors degree if you want a leg up on the competition.
Additional requirements are:
1. Be a US Citizen
2. Pass Security Clearance
3. Successful Background Investigation
4. Emergency Medical Services Training is Helpful but not Required
5. Law Enforcement Experience is a Plus
6. Military Experience is a Plus
As a matter of fact, law enforcement or military experience can count as 2 years of college that will help you get this job.
Homeland Security Salary:
The homeland security job is an important one. It is also a security sensitive job. This is why people in this profession make good money. You can make as much as $60,000 per year just to start. As your years of experience increases, you can command a salary of $90,000 per year.
We have found some schools that offer homeland security degrees. These schools have responded to need for America to have people trained in homeland security.
One of the schools is Everest University Online. Everest University Online offers online associate and bachelor homeland security programs.
You can request for their no obligation free information.
Another school is Capella University. Capella University offers masters and doctorate degrees in homeland security. These degree programs are also available online. You can request for their no obligation free information.
Criminal Justice Careers