What is a Bodyguard?
If you watched the movie “The Bodyguard” starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston, you have an idea what a bodyguard does. In this movie, Kevin Costner plays a bodyguard hired to protect a famous music and movie star played by Whitney Houston.
In a nutshell, bodyguards are personal protection specialists. In fact, this is the name most of them prefer these days. They are hired to protect famous people, like business executives, politicians, celebrities, diplomats, etc. These personal protection specialists perform a variety of duties for their clients, including:
1. Planning their client’s arrival and departure to minimize
risks. This would involve planning alternative routes and exits in case
2. Training their client on survival skills that helps them in times of danger.
3. Searching their client’s places of visit, homes, offices, transportations for bombs and explosives.
4. Engaging in physical and verbal confrontation with those that threaten their client.
5. Screening visitors that want to have access to their client.
6. Constantly watch their client for any signs of danger around them.
As you can see, this is a job for the most attentive people. Any slip up could lead to a bad result for your client. Along with this bad result, may also go the reputation of the bodyguard. This is a profession where you don’t want a bad reputation or you may never get another client.
How to Become a Bodyguard:
Those looking for bodyguard jobs will need bodyguard training to become successful personal protection specialists. Below are the skills you need to have:
1. Self Defense Skills, like Martial Arts
2. Decision Making Skills Under Pressure
3. Physical Strength, Stamina, and Endurance
4. Good Vision to Spot Danger
5. Communication, Negotiation, and People Skills
6. Emergency Handling Skills, like CPR
7. Social Skills to Blend in with Different People
As you can see, these are a lot of skills to acquire. There is one training that comes close to equipping people with these skills. It is the law enforcement or military training. This is why most personal protection specialists are ex police and military officers.
But you definitely don’t have to be an ex police or military officer to become a bodyguard. You can get law enforcement training to acquire most of the above skills. While doing that, you can take self defense classes to acquire self defense skills. This will also help get you in shape.
Personal protection specialists’ pay varies a great deal. It depends on who hires you and how valuable they think you are to them. It may also depend how rich the person that hires you is. We are sure somebody like Bill Gates pays top dollars to get the best of the best protecting him and his family.
But the low end pay for a bodyguard seems to be about $30,000 per year. The high end pay exceeds $100,000 per year. This is a lot of moolah!Bodyguard School:
If you are interested in law enforcement or criminal justice training to become a bodyguard, there are some good online criminal justice schools to help you. One of them is Kaplan University. You can request for their free information through this link.
Another one is AIU Online. You can get their free information by following this link. It may be a good idea to request both information to compare and see which one best meets your needs. The information is free so you have nothing to lose.
Criminal Justice Careers