What is a Secret Service Agent?
Secret service agents take one for the president or the ones they protect. What this means is that agents will take a bullet for the president or the ones they are protecting. Dedicated agents take pride in this.
You have to be brave to see danger and jump in front of it. This goes with doing your job. If you don’t have the heart to jump in front of speeding bullet, the secret service job may not be for you.
The secret service agency does the following:
1. Protect the President or President Elect of the United States
2. Protect the Vice President or Vice President Elect of the United States
3. Protect Major Presidential Candidates and Their Families
4. Protect Major Vice Presidential Candidates and Their Families
5. Protect Former Presidents, Spouses, and Their Children Under 16 Years
6. Protect Visiting Foreign Government Dignitaries
7. Prevent Financial Institutions Fraud
8. Preserve the Integrity of the United States Currency and Financial Obligations
The need for money and power is endless in the world today. This leads to a lot of financial crimes. The secret service must be ready to combat these crimes.
How to Become a Secret Service Agent:
Becoming a secret service agent requires one to acquire a college education or 3 years equivalent work experience. You are required to have at least a bachelor’s degree without the work experience. While no major is specified, there seems to be a preference for criminal justice or law enforcement degrees.
You should also expect to meet the following requirements:
1. Be a United States Citizen
2. Pass an Entrance Exam
3. Obtain Top Security Clearance
4. Excellent Physical Shape
5. Be Between 21 and 37 Years of Age
6. Pass Medical and Drug Screening
7. Pass a Polygraph Test
After your hiring, you will be required to go through new special agents training. This training will last for 11 weeks and will take place in Glynco, Georgia. After the new agent training, you will then go to a specialized training. This training will last for 16 weeks and takes place in Laurel, Maryland.
Secret Service Agent Salary:
Secret service agents make good starting salary. New agents while going through training can make as much as $45,000 per year. As you gain more experience, your salary can go as high as $65,000 per year.
Again, a bachelor’s degree in law enforcement or criminal justice will really help you in this field. You should check out the following online criminal justice schools. Request for their free information and decide which school you like the best.
Request free Kaplan information here
Request free Rasmussen College information....
Criminal Justice Careers